After graduating from OU, I returned to the George M. Sutton Avian Research Center in Bartlesville, OK to intern for their education program.  I was their intern summer 2008 and was excited when they asked me to return.

I will be helping with basic animal care and training.  Unlike last time, I will be the only intern.

I am staying in the little room again.

This year there are peach-colored walls and curtains. I’m standing at the door to take these pictures…yeah, it’s that small.  I sleep on a futon that is right next to the door (out of the picture).

I sleep in the “Chick Lab.” So named because it is where the eaglets were housed back when the Center was involved in eagle rehabilitation.

The players in our little adventure are:
Big Boss Man: the director of the Center
Boss Man: the education director/head trainer/my boss
Boss Lady: the second in command under Boss Man

Since I’ve been the intern before and have volunteered various times since then, they expect me to do really well this time around.  I didn’t realize how serious they were until Boss Man told me I needed to be ready to go at 6am my first day. WHAT?!
The eagle nest that the camera was on this season failed.  The center decided to move the equipment to a new nest site in Sand Springs. They also wanted to band the eaglets. They needed help and wanted to get up early to beat the heat… yeah right!!
Big Boss Man, climbed the tree. As humans are very large, the adults get frightened away, but continue to fly around the nest area; they will not attack the human due to the size difference.  Boss Lady and I were in charge of watching the nest from afar and following the babies when they fell from the nest.  As the eaglets have not fully fledged, they cannot fly well and will either fall from the nest right away, or be able to fly for awhile before falling.
The first climbed to the farthest point of the nest and fell close by. The third did as well.  The second one who left the nest must have been a few days older as it was able to actually fly farther.  I started to run after it, but once it flew over some trees, I lost it.  I knew it was going down near some warehouses. I was nervous the whole time we were looking for it that it was my fault that I’d lost it.   The boss at the place was willing to help us look around. He even got on the roof to look up there.  Thankfully he did because he was able to spot our eaglet in a tree right by the building.  It was funny because we had walked past that tree 3 or 4 times looking on the ground and talking to the workers about why we were running around.  The Vice Director of the Center and one of the workers got in their bucket lift so Vice D. could pull the eaglet out/down.
Afterward Boss Man banded all 3 and attached transmitters to the back of 2, we packed each into a duffel bag and hoisted them back up to Big Boss Man to return to the nest.

Here are the eaglets: two female and one male. The left and center ones have the transmitters.

Here is a size comparison of a researcher and the large female.